16 - RECOGNIZING GOD’S CORRECTION

By Stephen Phinney


"Turn to my reproof, Behold, I will pour out my spirit on you; I will make my words known to you. Because I called and you refused, I stretched out my hand and no one paid attention; And you neglected all my counsel And did not want my reproof; I will also laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your dread comes, When your dread comes like a storm And your calamity comes like a whirlwind, When distress and anguish come upon you” Proverbs 1:23-27, NASB).


God’s ways to riches is quite different than that of man. God says that if we simply, “But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you” (Matt 6:33, NASB). Man typically has a different approach to the “panic of need.”


For all of our readers who are married, you know this to be true. When husbands overcome obstacles to get what they want, wives and children react poorly, investments go south, health problems evolve, all the get rich quick schemes fail, children rebel and act up, finances collapse, and their marriages and families go “belly up.” Even if persistent self-will creates wealth, it quickly turns to a sorrowful wealth.




Ladies, did you know that most men make blundering financial decisions because of a destructive self-rejective cycle? It is completely true. Check out the chart below:




I am not sure I get why immorality almost always has a “kissing cousin” relationship with financial problems, but it is true.  I have been counseling professionally for over 30 years and I cannot tell you how many times I have connected immorality to money.  It would blow your mind if you could see what most counselors see in sessions.  Due to this reality, I want to show you the five main manifestations of men who have financial problems and how their wives respond to them.


It is critical for men and women to recognize the signs and symptoms of being reproved by God for allowing debt. It took me three times of God completely freeing me from debt, and walking right back into it, before I was able to recognize the signs of being reproved by God.


I hope and pray that it doesn’t take that many times for you, or your loved ones, to learn such a valuable lesson. If it does, I must warn you dear reader, the road ahead of you will be painful and full of unbelievable challenges and testings (Rev. 3:10). If you pass these tests, you will be a better child of the living God.





Subscribe to Dr. Phinney's Blog Feed - Click Here